It’s a question that has puzzled many – why are plates ceramic? Surely there must be other materials that would work just as well, if not better. This post will explore the history and benefits of using ceramic plates.
Why Are Plates Made of Ceramic Material?
Ceramic tableware is non-porous and, as a result, does not absorb chemicals. On the other hand, they may contaminate plastic dinnerware with chemicals, which can harm one’s health. Ceramics have very stable thermodynamic dynamics that prevent heat radiation from happening swiftly.
This is why plates and other tableware made from ceramic materials can be used to serve hot food without the fear of it being too hot to hold. The low thermal conductivity of ceramics helps retain heat, keeping your food warm for a longer time.
In addition, plates and cups made of porcelain or bone china are aesthetically pleasing. They also add an air of sophistication to any dining experience. Finally, because they are non-toxic, people can safely use ceramic dishes.
Especially those with allergies or sensitivities to certain chemicals and toxins found in other types of dishware. Therefore, next time you reach for that plate in the cupboard, remember all the reasons why it might just be better than plastic.
Advantages of Using Ceramic Plates
- They are heat resistant – The good thing about ceramic plates is that they can withstand high temperatures. This explains why you will find them in the kitchen and even ovens.
- They are more durable – Ceramic material is stronger than other materials like plastic, metal, glass, or earthenware. This makes them more durable than these materials.
- Easy to clean – These plates require simple cleaning methods such as dishwashing liquid, soap, and warm water. While some others do not even need detergent, thus very hygienic for food use.
- Environmentally friendly – These plates are made from a mixture of clay, earth minerals, and stone. This makes them environmentally friendly since all these ingredients occur naturally on earth. On top of that, ceramic does not contain chemicals like lead which may be harmful to the environment when disposed of.
- They have a unique look – Ceramic plates come in different shapes, colors, and sizes, giving your table setting a unique look.
- Affordable – Ceramic plates are affordable than plates like glass or china, making them ideal for everyday use.
ALSO READ: Why Are Mugs Ceramic?
Disadvantages of Using Ceramic Plates
There are a few disadvantages of using ceramic plates. They include:
- Ceramic plates can be very expensive – Unfortunately, ceramic plates tend to be expensive. This is especially true if the plate has a unique design.
- Ceramic plates can break easily – Ceramic plates are more susceptible to breaking than metal or plastic ones. It’s important to handle them with care to avoid damaging them.
- They can be very fragile and prone to breaking if they fall or if you handle them badly.
- The glaze on the plates can also chip and flake over time, which means that the plate’s surface will become rough and potentially unsafe to eat from.
- You can’t put ceramic plates in the dishwasher or microwave – Meaning you need to handwash them and dry carefully each time you use them.
Why Is Ceramic Used for Bowls?
The ceramic material is the primary material used in making plates, bowls, and other kitchenware because it has extremely high heat resistance. Ceramic materials are very durable, meaning they can withstand extreme temperatures without cracking or breaking.
This makes them ideal for containers to hold hot food items like soup, pasta, and gravy. It also helps keep your hands safe while using these utensils because they do not get hot when touched by human skin. Even after exposing them to direct flames! Besides their durability factor, there’s another big benefit: ceramics don’t rust.
Why Are Ceramic Plates Expensive?
Ceramic plates are expensive because the material is durable. They look shiny when cleaned, giving a high-end feel to your kitchen. This makes them more valuable than other dishware that doesn’t shine as much or break easily. Also, they come in beautiful colors like black, red, or brown, which add value too!
Plates are ceramic because they are strong, durable, and heat resistant. They are easy to clean and provide a great presentation for food.
While you could use other materials for plates, such as plastic or metal, ceramic is the best option because of its many benefits. Ceramic plates have been around for centuries and remain one of the most popular materials for dishware today.